Iron deficiency is one of the most common issues affecting both young and old people today. So why? Here are a few of the main reasons people develop an iron deficiency problem:
- Poor diet – inadequate intake of enough mineral rich foods
- Restrictive diet – allergies and intolerances together with that restrict certain food groups can again mean the person has inadequate intake of mineral rich foods.
- Altered diet – a person who has changed the types of foods they eat, e.g. turned vegetarian or vegan recently. The body is not used to extracting iron from these foods alone
- Blood loss – heavy periods or other bleeding such as from haemorrhoids, nose bleeds and recurrent bruising can affect iron levels and may indicate a more serious internal problem such as stomach ulcer or internal bleeding.
- Increased or prolonged period of stress – creates distress in the body and can affect digestion in many ways, often creating deficiencies
What are the symptoms of low iron:
- Unusual tiredness – feeling more tired than usual, extreme tiredness
- Paleness – pale complexion but also pale skin all over the body
- Shortness of breath – difficulty getting a deep breath
- Headaches – lack of oxygen due to low iron – which causes lack of oxygen supply to the cells and tissues of the body
- Ear infections, Thrush, Sinusitis
- Dizziness – feeling dizzy and foggy headed
- Palpitations – feeling heart beating faster for no apparent reason
- Dry and Damaged Hair and Dry or Itchy Skin, Brittle Nails
- Cracks in corners of the mouth
- Acne and pimples
- Mouth ulcers
- Restless legs
The reason you should check that taking iron is appropriate for you!
It is also important to note that taking iron supplements when you have not had a proper diagnosis from your doctor can be detrimental to your health. Too much iron can cause other minerals in the body to go out of balance, like zinc and copper. Zinc is important for a variety of functions in our body and is part of over 300 enzymes reactions used to repair wounds, maintain fertility, help with cell reproduction, vision and boost immunity. Copper is vital for the absorption, storage and metabolism of iron.
The reason enzymes are so important:
Hepcidin which is produced in the liver, helps to control iron absorption. It is important that this enzyme is also functioning effectively.
The reason one mineral is not always the only mineral you need!
Other minerals that support the functioning of iron in the body are:
- Sodium - important for blood volume, balances water in cells and functions of nerves
- Potassium - regulates heart function, blood pressure and nerve and muscle activity
- Phosphorous - used for biochemical reactions throughout the body
- Manganese - works with Vit K for blood clotting and helps strengthen stress response
- Chromium - important in metabolism of fats and carbohydrates
- Selenium - important for thyroid hormone function and immune system.
These toxins may be the reason that your iron absorption is affected:
- Aluminium – absorbed from preservatives, drinks cans, foil tops, tin foil, deodorants, white flour and some vaccines. Blocks the absorption of Iron.
- Lead – absorbed from industrial waste in water, white paints, coloured inks, hair dye and cigarette smoke. Blocks the absorption of Iron.
As a Neuro-Trainer and Kinesiologist, specialising in Alternative Nutrition, I use a systematic approach to check as many of the possible issues surrounding an iron deficiency issue. Merely taking an iron supplement is not always going to solve your problem. There may be lots of other aspects to the problem that are not being addressed, such as:
- Excess of other minerals, affecting absorption of the iron
- Deficiency in the diet
- Effect absorption by digestive system
- Ability to utilise the iron you are ingesting
- How you are metabolising your iron
- Checking allergy or reactions to certain foods or supplements
- Checking poisons or toxins affecting absorption
- Ratios with other minerals vitamins and hormones that may affect absorption
- Supportive nutrients and foods to help absorption
This all takes some time to muscle, for November I am offering a 50% discount off a Mineral Balance Check. So, for only $50, come along for an hour’s appointment to find out the blood and tissue balance of over 35 minerals and any that show any issues affecting deficiency.
Don’t delay book in today to reserve your spot and get a start on a natural solution to your health and vitality.
Deals this good don't last long!
Have a great day!
Neuro-Trainer, Kinesiologist, Reiki Master, Aromatherapist, Massage Therapist. Working with people in natural therapies for over 20 years.